Friday, July 19, 2013

Just a piece of paper?

Marriage. Any marriage, just marriage in general is such a subject of epic proportions today that I have to say we are very flippant about it. I have heard quite a few people, and the number is on the rise, say that marriage is just a piece of paper. They could not be more wrong.

A marriage certificate is a piece of paper that is used by the local, state, and federal governments for tax purposes. It verifies that a man and a woman (and in several states now same sex couples) have chosen to live as one. One household, one income, one family. It is legally binding (look up bind in the dictionary, it has several definitions that prove interesting). Divorce is messy. Normally that is the case and it takes a lot of rigamarole to get through one. So... marriage is JUST a piece of paper. No. Wrong.

I can't make arguments with anyone.
They don't work.
Everyone has an excuse as to why they think that.
It comes down to one simple fact.
Sex.
Sex is so common now that marriage seems superfluous.
Marriage is more than sex and living under the same roof.

Marriage is simply this.
Two people (whom the government no longer defines as a man and woman) who come together to form a new family apart from the ones they were apart of.
It is a public statement to family, friends, government, and TOTAL STRANGERS that you have committed yourself to that other person, hopefully, until death you two part legally, physically, mentally, emotionally, and yes spiritually. This commitment is sealed with a kiss, literally, and signified by the exchanging of rings that says to everyone in the world that you are committed for life to someone else.

Commitment is more than a piece of paper.
I'm wrong?
Then why did the LGBT community FIGHT so hard for their marriages to be legally recognized by the local, state, and federal governments? They obviously feel that it's more than a piece of paper.

Why?
Because it IS more.
Don't believe me?
Ask one of them why they fought so hard to make it legal for them.

Just sayin'
Leigha

(PS with all this being said I do want to point out that I am a proponent of traditional marriage. This doesn't mean I am anti-gay. I believe what I believe and what I believe is this, God made us all in His image. He gave us a free will in order to choose whether or not we would serve Him. After all it is not true love if it is forced. I have chosen to be a Christian. Others have not. This does not mean God loves me more. God loves every human being on this planet the same.)

No comments:

Post a Comment