Thursday, August 15, 2013

Things that make you go hmmm.

Tonight my son got out of bed and came to the kitchen rubbing the sleep from his eyes and asking for a small snack. I obliged and got him a small bowl of cereal. He ate it quietly on my lap and drank some water while we cuddled. As I sang him back to sleep I realized how much I miss rocking him in the rocking chair while I gave him his bottle (I nursed for nine months then I just couldn't keep up). I remember sitting in that rocking chair with him and praying for him as I held him to my heart while he slept. I almost always fell asleep and woke up when my daughter would come in and ask when I was going to put her and her sister to bed. Oh the small things. :) Don't worry I was never out for long and his bedtime was an hour before the girls so I had plenty of time for them.

It's those small things that seem insignificant in our lives that touch us the deepest. In retrospect I can't believe how much I miss that half hour to forty five minutes of time that was just me and my little guy. This little man who is exactly like my husband in every single way. They both laugh and smile the same and I just LOVE it. Then my son will give me looks like his oldest sister and my heart leaps with joy to see the sibling similarities.

He is a rough and tumble kind of kid, just like daddy, but inside he needs to be held and cuddled and hugged and kissed (just like daddy). He loves one on one time and follows his daddy around like the most precious puppy that ever existed. I wasn't expecting him. He was my surprise pregnancy, but it is the absolute best surprise in my entire life. His sisters were both planned, but in one day BOOM everything was different. I needed him. I needed his silliness and how he tickles you to apologize then flashes his perfect little smile that makes you melt. I needed his stubbornness and how he mimics my "no no" and "ah ah ah" when he doesn't want you to take away the cell phone he's been playing on for an hour.

Yes, my son is one of a kind. He'll dance to music and pass a soccer ball just to get your attention for a moment. It's these small and amazing things that are easy to miss, but important to recognize. Thank you Lord for my son. I don't want my life any other way! I just can't believe he'll be three soon.

Please note my son asked me to shave his head like his daddy's. When I did I got the most interesting surprise when I realized he and daddy have the same bumps and same head shape! I love it!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment